Friday, January 29, 2010

Whose Opinion Really Matters

7:18 AM by Subtle_Hints · 3 comments







I found myself wondering one day whose opinion matters to me most. Was it my parent’s, my friend’s, my special someone, my co-worker’s, my acquaintances? The list goes on and on causing me to stop, think, and actually reflect.

I’ve met and seen people who- in the midst of wanting to fit in, all they had ever cared about is how people sees them. And I feel quite sad for them. ‘Cause, it might be so sad to live out your life trying to please everyone, trying to make everyone think better of you- that you lose yourself in the process. I’ve also met people in whom all that ever comes out of their lips are things that they can brag about- whether it be the brand of their clothes, their shoes, or their bags. They look down on people who they think can’t afford such luxuries. And yes, I was subjected to such kinds of pressures.- of wanting to fit in to get a little respect. 

It was then that I realized, their opinions never really mattered to me. I really didn’t care whether they think I’m rich or not, intelligent or not. Yes, it made me angry when they choose to think I have less of a brain that I actually have, but then again, I chose to walk away. I realized that at the end of the day, it’s not their opinions that matter most to me. Not even my parent’s, my friend’s, or my special someone. The opinion that mattered to me was God’s. 

Because when the time comes, God won’t ask me what brand of clothes I wore, or where I bought my shoe, or whether I ate at expensive restaurants or not; He would ask me, what I have in my heart. If my heart was honest, and strong. If my mind was innocent. And if He stripped me down to my very core, would He see a person He can call His child, or would I be a disappointment.

It is not wrong to prove yourself to someone who thinks less of you. It’s not even wrong to try to fit in to avoid confrontation. It only becomes wrong when you lose yourself in the process. When you don’t even know who you truly are anymore. I leave you with a quote that really made me think:

“Do what you love and what makes you happy. Don’t be afraid of what other people would think or say, because even if you do everything that pleases them, people always have something to say.”

comments

3 Responses to "Whose Opinion Really Matters"
Unknown said...
February 5, 2010 at 10:35 PM

screw them Reich! lol. not helping at all. i'm just trying to make myself laugh coz this really made me teary. i call this WAWOPT syndrome. Worried About What Other People Think. that has been my term since hs. every now and then I get to have this syndrome. And after those miserable feelings, I realized that only God is the cure. =)


Subtle_Hints said...
February 14, 2010 at 10:13 AM

"screw them Reich! "

-exactly what I had in mind, when they've tried my patience for the last time :)) hehehe so true God is the cure ^__^ hehe thanks for stopping by bets:)


Anonymous said...
March 18, 2010 at 7:39 AM

Reality sucks most of the time. Sometimes we try to be somebody else in order to fit in. That's how it works in the real world. We try our best to please everyone because that's the only thing that would make us feel "we belong".The sense of belongingness is so strong that sometimes we have no choice but to accept the thought of pleasing everyone because that's the only way to convince ourselves that we are not alone. But we have to think- if we lose ourselves in the process who will help us regain it?